Saturday, February 20, 2016

Week 4

 This week I have spent more time on cataloging books. It may seem like I spend an inordinate amount of time doing this, but there has been A LOT to do. Here is what my living room looked like this week:

Boxes and boxes of books! The first thing I do when we get books is double check to see if we have the book in our collection already. Next, I look the books up on the Library of Congress site to see if there is a MARC record I can copy. Third, I add the necessary stickers and barcodes to the new books. Finally, I add either the MARC record or the book information to a new book record in our database. Interestingly, I timed it and it took right at an hour to just put the stickers in these particular books.

Friday I was able to spend some time with the third grade class. I presented to them a couple of weeks ago on how to do research, and this time I was able to be in the class and help them find the things they needed. They were also invited to come see me after school any day for additional assistance. They were doing really well on their research. One interesting thing I observed was that they did not realize they could type in other search topics besides just the name of their character. One student needed to know the dates of the past two Summer Olympics, so I showed him how to find that type of information. Here is a picture of work in progress:


Working with the students was the best! We were only given 30 minutes to work, but we could have gone on for at least an hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment